Vegan Chickpea Bolognese
This recipe has all the authentic flavors of a classic bolognese sauce, but is made vegan with chickpeas instead of ground meat. Just pulse the chickpeas in a food processor to give it a ground meat-like texture that works wonderfully.
Buy the Noodles
- 8 ounces Modern Table Penne
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for added heat)
- One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed, dried and pulsed 10 times in a mini food processor
- One 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- Optional: ½ cup oat milk
- Optional: 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, large stems removed and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the carrots, celery, shallot, salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften. Then add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and let cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the pulsed garbanzo beans and sauce to the skillet and stir until combined. Add oat milk and maple syrup if using. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover while you cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add one tablespoon salt and one package of pasta. Cook according to package instructions. When cooking is complete, test one noodle for doneness. Use a large scoop colander pasta strainer to transfer the cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce. Stir until the noodles are fully coated with the sauce. Add parsley and basil and stir again before serving.
- Divide onto four plates and enjoy immediately. You can also plate the pasta plain and serve the sauce in the center as pictured.
Recipe credit: Eating by Elaine.